Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A (H1N1): 2 more deaths taking total to 67



KUALA LUMPUR: There have been three more deaths due to the influenza A (H1N1) virus taking the toll to 67 deaths, said Health Director-General Tan Sri Dr Mohd Ismail Merican.

He said all the three deaths involved those in the high-risk group including a 33-years-old woman who died due to severe bronchopneumonia and who was tested positive for influenza A (H1N1) on Aug 12 after being admitted to the intensive care unit on Aug 7.

The second victim a girl aged 10 years admitted on July 17 was confirmed dead due to "Systematic Lupus Erythematous with severe pneumonia with renal impairement" on Aug 13, Dr Mohd Ismail said in a statement.

He said the third victim was an elderly person aged 71 who was admitted to hospital after having fever, cough and breathing difficulties for two days and who died on Aug 14 due to "Ischaemic Dilated Cardiomyopathy precipitated by pnuemonia."

"The Health Ministry finds there are many patients who have the influenza A(H1N1) infection who are not cooperating in controlling the epidemic," he said, adding that they needed to cooperate.

On the situation in the country, Dr Mohd Ismail said till this morning the number of H1N1 patients treated in wards was 276 while 36 confirmed for H1N1 were being treated in the ICU throughout the country.

Of the 36 cases in the ICU, 21 had risk factors, he said.

He also reminded people that antiviral treatment was only given to three high risk groups and those having influenza without undergoing confirmation tests for influenza A(H1N1).

People were asked to follow latest developments and take preventive steps by referring to the special HiN1 website http://h1n1.moh.gov.my or calling the hotlines 0388810200 and 0388810300.

Meanwhile, 85 National Service (Ns) camps in the country will not be closed as the spread of the influenza A(H1N1) virus is still under control, said NS Training Council chairman Datuk Dr Tiki Lafe.

"Closing of camps is the last resort as we can still quarantine those positive in camps," he said.

Tiki said closing camps and sending trainees home who were positive could cause the spread of the virus as they would be exposed to open society.

"For those free of the virus, if we send them home they may be exposed to the virus outside," he told reporters after chairing the council meeting here Tuesday.

He said the NS council would however close camps if directed to do so by the Health Ministry.

He said 42 camps had been closed temporarily for a week earlier and of those 35 had been reopened.

He said 25 trainees and a trainer were confirmed positive for the virus and that their situation was stable and controlled.

"For now the camps are open, none closed again. Additionally we have and will have additional buildings for quarantine purpose," he said.

Tiki called on parents not to panic as the department had taken proper steps to handle the epidemic.

"For the NS group in Jan 2 next year, we want parents and trainees to be aware of the situation.

"If you have the symptoms, undergo an examination in clinics or hospitals and let us know. We hope parents will not be afraid to send their children to the NS," he said. - Bernama

No comments:

Post a Comment